Thursday, June 21, 2007

Muppets Gone Wild

If you read my bit about the blacklight theatre, you might have an idea that so-called traditional Czech theatre is anything but. Last night, checked out a rendition of the Mozart operea Don Giovanni "performed" by marionette puppets. I didn't know the story and hardly know it any better after the show, but this thing was so funny, my lovelies. Suffice to say I sincerely doubt that the original opera has the male lead trying to look under the girls' skirts.

Well that was the highlight of yesterday. Krakow ended up being a blast. Let me tell you about the last night. After enjoying some borscht at the restaurant across from the hostel for my fourth straight meal, we went to a fairly cool pub. Okay, ponder whether the culture of my nation is too cold, but at a very busy bar when you order a drink, is it necessary to add a "please" to the end of the order? Well, I didn't and the bartender made me say it, obviously he was greeted with a patronizing "thank you" upon delivery. This incident possibly tainted my evening.

After like 3 beers I went to buy the round I had been owing for two previous rounds cause of my slow pace. When I ordered, I was refused. I kept surprisingly cool, and was told I was too drunk. But the old guy in the corner, pontificating upon theories of astrophysics, playing chess with one of my roommates, who fell off his chair and broke a glass, was faithfully getting served.

After that, my mind was set on going to sleep. I was suckered into going to a club. I believe the music choice was Cindy Lauper, the Cure, or some other 80's suicide rock group. We were with a couple girls and I remember this guy wearing a sleeveless tee dancing awfully close, and with complete lack of anything that could even loosely be referred to as rhythm, behind one of the abovementioned girls. My already flying head took another leap and said "Man! You are in Eastern Europe and this is getting a smidgin trippy." I made a beeline for the WC with my screwdriver and pounded it in an attempt to right ship. Much to my chagrin, when I returned to the dancefloor, they had upgraded all the way to Whitesnake or something. Said beeline was transferred to the bar for another screwdriver. My friends had gone upstairs to the electronica dancefloor...

For those of you to whom I am anonymous, it must be said that anything over about 12 minutes of house, techno, etc. makes me want to pull a DaVinci on my ears. Second screwdriver gets necked and I excuse myself from the club, only to try to navigate my way home in the foreboding gray of the Krakow dawn...

Needless to say, the next day was rendered practically useless...

More from Den Faderland. Berlin tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Da Vinci cut his own ear off? I thought it was Van Gogh

Randi said...

I thought it was Van Gogh, too. Da Vinci just inspired bad movies.