Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Random Thoughts, in Lieu of Anything Exciting in My Life

I haven't written lately cause nothing too interesting has happened to me except the reunions with some of my closest friends in New York (sorry if some take offense because Brooklyn isn't really New York).

Last night I switched over to CNN during a commercial of the Patriot's romping of the Bengals and the topic was "Should America Be English Only?" I didn't watch much but I believe it was the old "sink or swim" debate about how first generation non-English speakers should be taught- either in Spanish (representing the biggest group in need) with gradual integration into English classes OR straight up English. Whatever the specific bickering was about, the following is really pathetic...

They had a poll with that question, simply YES/NO and with over 13,000 votes the split was 74% YES 26% NO. Now, you gotta assume that the average CNN watcher is more educated, and richer, than the average person watching the Bachelor (which I also switched to, to see if he gave a rose to the one with the silicone implants...he didn't). This is a fair assumption if you check out the commercials representing their viewers- investment funds, airlines' new business classes, etc.

I know that in reality, no matter how many Spanish speakers eventually are in this country, we probably won't really need Spanish. But just the attitude that this country should be English ONLY is twisted and narrow. Sure, I don't know all the minute details of the specific issue they were talking about, but in the general sense of things, it is better for international/intercultural relations if you can speak more than one language. Trust me, people really appreciate and respect if you at least try to commuicate with them in their language. But I digress, because I don't have anything else happening now.

Oh, I guess one more thought I had about the state of communication in general these days. And my love of the impact of technology upon it....just kidding....hate it. It's a sports thing. In the recent women's soccer World Cup, the coach made a bonehead move and benched our goalie for the semifinals cause the backup had more experience against Brazil (the team we played). Brazil spanked us 4-0 and the regular starter completely stabbed the coach and the other goalie in the back with some pretty harsh press conference comments. Of course, she realized later that she was a bit emotional at the time and could've handled it better but stood by her comments. So she apologized. How?....

on her MySpace page. That is so lame on so many levels. If you don't agree or want me to explain the lameness, please ask.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah...that is weak to complain on MySpace...who the fuck is gonna care on MySpace....?

Randi said...

I don't think she should apologize. She made a valid statement that was backed up by the fact that they lost.
MySpace... ugh.

Hung said...

!eres un hoto!

Coodence said...

brooklyn is totally in new york, big stoner.