Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Civil Rights

Yesterday, I exercised my -what should be international- right to drink beer on the subway in an open container. Here's how it went down...

I go to a corner store next to the subway and pick up the only beer I hadn't tried yet- von Raven- which also happened to have the coolest label and cost the least (about 1 dollar). I asked the cashier to open it for me and he looks at me befuddled and points, as if I'm Borat trying to figure out how to turn on a TV, to the bottle opener hanging on a hook in front of me. Wilkommen til Deutschland!

So, strolling down the street feeling like the hot doo doo, I cradle my beer and hop the subway. I wasn't the bomb anymore when I noticed the guy next to me enjoying a beer as well. The thing is, but for the young punks and alkies, no one abuses this privlege. They're just having a beer instead of a Diet Coke or whatever.

Most people over in Europe respect beer. Maybe because it's not seen as something to be tucked away in your home.

Beer drinkers, let's unite, or petition, for NO MORE BROWN BAGGING! That's for school lunches, Mr. Senator, and I ain't seven anymore.

1 comment:

Randi said...

It trips me out that we treat beer the way we do in the states. We can join the military at 18 but can't drink til we're 21? WTF?