Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Circles Are Funny Little Things

Six years ago, I had a round trip ticket from San Francisco to Accra- capital of Ghana- returning in 3 months. That would've been my first and probably never duplicatable backpacking adventure. I had plans to explore the area and places I would admittedly never know if not for the planning...Burkina Faso, Benin (the birthplace of voodoo), Togo (which had only been a sandwich shop in Berkeley up until then), and maybe getting as far west as Senegal or Mali. I had bought me a French book and started getting some key phrases down. I knew all the hotspots for monkey viewing. I had money in my bank account. Then....BAM! As that commercial says, "Life comes at you hard." So do cars. Hospital for two months, and trip canceled for rehab. By the way, to get a refund on a missed plane trip, you need a hell of an excuse and some CSI like proof. I had to send in hospital records, CT scans, MRI's, the whole nine to get that $1200 back. So after this trip, assuming I had no serious insect transmitted viruses, I was planning on going back to the area I had gone to school and loved, and putting that business degree to work, or something like that.

Plans had been changed and rocked. I know. I know. Why didn't you just go back to San Francisco as planned? By the time rehab was over, I had no cash to set up shop there. Plus, being that my very brain had been literally rocked, shit was kinda confusing and I was, to be honest, mentally and physically too tired to try anything too new. So, I got a small loan from my peops to go to Thailand. In case you ever need to know, setting up shop in Thailand only requires a pretty small pile of dough.

So two times in Thailand, once in Vietnam, once more in Vietnam, once in India, and four months bumming around Europe later, where is my most probable next stop? San Francisco. Shit just worked out that way. But, damn, where will I live? A little opening has revealed itself...with my last college roommate. Weirdddd...

and we go full circle. Now I just need the job part hammered out. Using that little business degree ain't gonna be so easy, now. Six years removed from any business experience, I wonder what the statute of limitations on that piece of paper is...despite it being from such a good school...the adventures never do cease. Am I equipped for the journey? Stay tuned for updates...

1 comment:

Liam said...

Wow, life sure does work out weird sometimes.
Here attached for your viewing pleasure is 1 roller coaster to contemplate. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Roller_coaster_picture_dibujo_montaƱa_rusa.png

By the way, nice beard. You look like a philosopher, or a hobo... :-)