Friday, August 17, 2007

Friggin' Long-Haired Hippies

I saw this doucmentary about the Glastonbury Music Festival the other day and it made me think of Burning Man cause this is usally the time of year I get e-mails from the homies announcing plans and fruitless invites.

The doucmantary was boring and had no discernible progression but served one purpose: reminding me how much I hate hippies. Don't misunderstand me: I believe in many of the ideas they endorse and pot's cool, too. But I ain't really falling for the indiscriminate hatred for all badge wearers and persistence in propogating conspiracy theories.

Sure there's loads of bad cops, but there's also loads of bad businessmen, priests, teachers, athletes, etc. People misabusing the power given to them is just human nature, which escaping is easier said than done. And we still are people, right? It don't make it right, but can you imagine a world with no law enforcement?

And conspiracy theories? Of course there are tons of them that ring true as daylight but who honestly cares? There have been and will be forever. Is my life really going to change because I know for a fact that there are aliens and they killed JFK, but in fact it is Elvis' body being preserved in Area 51. No I'd probably be dumber for even spending an ounce of brain power caring. And without secrets, what would there be to speculate about?

So, Glastonbury is a pretty cool music festival, I'm sure. But did you know that every year 300,000 folks attend? That is madness and I hate crowds. And while I'm sure tons of the people who go are genuine year long professional hippies, there's also loads of people who play the part to escape the mundaneness of their desk jobs and evryday lives where worries about material goods often dominate all other worries. I'm down for escapes and getting into the spirit of things, but it does kind of cheapen the whole event, by turning it into a more laid back version of corporate team-building trips.

SICK OF TAKING ORDERS FROM A BOSS WHO WILL SACRIFICE FAIR TREATMENT, SATISFACTORY WORK CONDITIONS, AND HUMANE TREATMENT IN THE NAME OF THE BOTTOM LINE?

LOOKING FOR A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN BE THE PERSON YOU REALLY ARE, DRESS THE WAY YOU REALLY WANT TO DRESS, DO THOSE THINGS THAT ALWAYS SCRAPE AT YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND BUT YOU ARE TOO EMBARRASSED TO TELL ANYONE, AND TAKE SOME DRUGS THAT HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN INVENTED YET, WITHOUT ANYONE JUDGING YOU?

Just my thought for and ad. Stop with your, come on S, it ain't just about the drugs. But it would be interesting to see a drug free hippie festival. I am not a drug hater. Although in my defense, I am only a proponent of the natural goods. While alcohol is natural, I do question the naturalness of OE and box wine- but whatever, can you argue with over a liter of refreshing beer-like beverage that costs like 2 bones?

Just some not too organized thought I had as I trudged through this film.

By the way, hate to disappoint- although I know I am overrating the love for me and my random thoughts- but my posts will probably be less based on trippy things that happen to me in foreign countries and more on my personal ponderings. This is cause I am probably- and you who know me understand why that word is in italics- coming/going back to the States soon. See when I see ya...S

2 comments:

Randi said...

As long as you keep blogging, I don't care what you blog about.
:o)

Coodence said...

Weee! Come back.